Alert…2016 Medicare and You Handbook Shows Medicare Premium Increases for Part D Plan!!

Hi, Toni:

Part D surprise came in the mail last week… Our part D provider sent news of changes for 2016.   Monthly premium doubled from $29.50 to over $62.00 and deductible went from zero to $250. The part D increases are enough that, I suppose I must review alternative companies.

Do you have any remarks on Part D?  I suspect these Medicare premium increases are across all Part D insurance companies.

~Tom…a weekly reader

Thanks Tom: 

You are the second reader to write that this specific Medicare Part D plan has raised their premium, from a $0 deductible to $250 and also changed co pays during Medicare’s Open Enrollment. I have been studying the 2016 Medicare and You handbook and have noticed serious changes in standalone (not Medicare Advantage) Part D plans.

Many 2016 standalone Part D plans now have a deductible ranging from $200 to $360. I also notice that the cost of prescriptions have increase with some Part D plans. The changes are caused from what prescriptions someone takes, whether generic or brand name, to what pharmacy you are using.

Medicare Premium Increases …
Are you READY!!

Part D changes for 2016 are:

  • Initial Deductible:
    Will be increased by $40 to $360 in 2016.
  • Initial Coverage Limit:
    Will increase from $2,960 in 2015 to $3,310 in 2016
  • Out-of-Pocket Cost:
    Will increase from $4,700 in 2015 to $4,850 in 2016.
  • Donut Hole (coverage gap):
    Begins once you reach your Medicare Part D plan’s initial coverage limit ($3,310 in 2016) and ends when you spend a total of $4,850 in 2016. You will spend 45% of covered brand name drugs and the drug manufacturer will pay the remainder 55%. For generics, you will pay a maximum of 58% co pay, which will be a 42% discount. If your prescriptions are not in your Part D formulary, then YOU WILL pay 100% of the prescription drug cost.

Toni’s Tips to help you stay out of the Donut Hole or not get in it as soon!

  • Use when selecting a Medicare Part D plan whether it is your first time or changing during Medicare’s Open Enrollment Period in the fall. This is an accurate way to view the cost of drugs and which plan and pharmacy is most cost effective.
  • Talk to your doctor or doctors about which brand name drugs can be changed to generics.
  • Get samples from your doctor. 
  • See what generics are in a $4 or $5 generic prescription drug programs at HEB, Wal-Mart, and Kroger etc…  Pay for the genericsout of your pocket.  To get their discounted price you only need a prescription from your doctor.
  • Use your Medicare Part D plan for your brand name drugs and expensive generics. You do not have to put every prescription on your Medicare Part D plan.
  • Visit and sign up for Toni’s newsletter and receive a “free” copy of the new Medicare Prescription Drug Survival Guide e-book version.

[colored_box title=”October Medicare Workshops” bgColor=”#008899″ textColor=”#ffffff”]

Woodlands Area Confused about Medicare Workshop -Thursday, October 22, 2015

 6:00PM to 8:00PM at the Integrity Bank-Woodlands Location 1699 Research Forest Drive, Suite 100, Shenandoah, TX  77380. Reservations are required as space is limited.
Please RSVP 832-519-8664.

St Vincent de Paul Catholic Church Medicare Workshop—Tuesday, October 27th

6:00PM-8:00PM located 6800 Buffalo Speedway, Houston, TX 77025.
Please RSVP 832-519-8664.


Toni King is the author of the Medicare Survival Guide®, which is on sale at HERE. For a personal consultation, please contact Toni at Ask Toni. is expanding in January with Medicare Peace University. Visit Medicare Peace University for more information.

Share This