On Veterans Day, we honor the men and women who proudly serve our country. Social Security is committed to helping our veterans. One of our priorities is to constantly improve the quality of service we provide to them and their families.
Here are five Social Security benefits every veteran should know about:
- Disability Services —The effects of military service can be profound and lasting. Social Security pays disability benefits to veterans through the Social Security disability insurance and the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) programs. Our disability insurance program pays benefits to you and certain members of your family if you’ve worked long enough and paid enough Social Security taxes to qualify.
- Accelerated processing for some Veteran claims —Veterans who have a VA compensation rating of 100 percent permanent and total (P&T) have the opportunity to receive expedited processing of applications for Social Security disability benefits.
- Help integrating back into the workforce — Our online guide, Journey to Success: Employment Tools for Veterans with Disabilities, highlights resources, such as career counseling, job training, employment services, and other ways that we help disabled veterans return to work.
- Career opportunities for Veterans — We offer several career options in diverse fields for our heroes as well as preference in hiring. You can learn more about how Social Security helps secure today and tomorrow for our veterans and their families on our veterans page.
- Benefits for WWII Veterans — Special benefits can be paid to some World War II veterans who served in the active United States military from September 16, 1940, through July 24, 1947. This includes Filipino veterans who served in the organized military of the Philippines from July 26, 1941, through December 30, 1946.
Acting Commissioner Nancy A. Berryhill said it best: “We honor and thank the brave men and women who served in our nation’s armed forces.” Let us always remember their courage and sacrifice.
From Toni and the Toni Says Team we would like to say to all the Veterans, Thank you for your service and sacrifice and Welcome Home.
article can be found at https://blog.ssa.gov/five-ways-social-security-serves-our-veterans/